Scholarships for Military Students


The Defense Commissary Agency’s Scholarships for Military Children Program offers $2000 scholarships to dependent children of active duty, reserve, guard and retired military commissary customers.  Application deadline is February 13, 2015.  For more information or to apply, go to or stop by the Ellsworth AFB Commissary.

The Ellsworth Officers and Civilians Spouses Club offers scholarships to dependent children of active duty, Title 10 Reserve, and Title 32 AGR Air Force members assigned to Ellsworth AFB.  Dependent children of retired military members, civil service employees working on Ellsworth AFB, and deceased military members are also eligible to apply.  Application deadline is February 18, 2015.  For more information or to receive an application, email


The Air Force Aid Society’s General Henry H Arnold Educational Grant Program offers need-based grants of at least $2000 to dependent children of active duty, Title 10 Reserve, Title 32 AGR, retired, retired reserve and deceased Air Force members.  Grant program applicants may also be chosen for the $5000 Merit Scholarship and Supplemental Education Loan Program (see flyer).  Application deadline is March 13, 2015.  For more information or to apply, go to

Air Force Aid Society Educational Programs

Dual Credit Program and Online AP Courses

The availability of advanced and AP courses may vary between high schools in the local area.  If your student is looking for classes outside of their school’s normal course offerings, they should talk with their school counselor about the High School Dual Credit program, Learning Power program and other AP courses through the SD Virtual School.  These programs give students the option to take more rigorous classes while potentially earning college credit!

High School Dual Credit Program

What is dual credit?
Dual credit is an opportunity for high school students to enroll in postsecondary institutions in South Dakota while earning credits for both their high school diploma and postsecondary degree or certificate at the same time.

What are the benefits?
Dual credit courses provide students with a number of benefits, including:

  • A jump start to students’ postsecondary careers
  • Significant cost savings for students and parents through reduced tuition costs.
  • Increased confidence for college success.

Who is eligible?
Students must be a high school junior or senior attending a public high school.  If they have taken the ACT, the student’s scores must meet the college’s ACT entrance requirements.  If the student has not taken the ACT, seniors must rank in the upper 1/2 of their class or earn a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25 on a 4.0 scale.  Juniors must rank in the upper 1/2 of their class and earn a cumulative GPA of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale.

What courses are available?
Students are able to take a number of on-campus and online courses offered by public postsecondary institutions in South Dakota, including general education and career and technical education courses.

What are the costs?
Select dual credit courses are available to high school students in grades 11-12 at the rate of $40 per credit. Students are responsible for the cost of course credits and any required textbooks or related course materials.

How do I register?
Students should contact their school counselor or principal to register for dual credit courses.

Where do I go for more information?
Students should talk with their school counselor or go to

Learning Power Online AP Program

What is Learning Power?
The Learning Power program consists of seven online AP courses offered through the South Dakota Virtual School.

Who is eligible?
Public high school students (or home-school or private school high school students accessing the Learning Power program through a public high school) are eligible to participate in Learning Power. The Learning Power AP coursework will be challenging so a solid academic background in the identified content area will be essential.

What courses are available?

  • AP Biology
  • AP Calculus AB
  • AP Chemistry
  • AP English – Language & Composition
  • AP English – Literature & Composition
  • AP Physics 1
  • AP Statistics

How does it work?

  • The student contacts their school counselor, principal or other designated high school official to indicate their interest in the Learning Power program. The school official confirms the student’s eligibility. With the support and assistance of the school official, the student is registered for the Learning Power course(s) via the South Dakota Virtual School website. The student participates in the online course(s) throughout the school term. In some cases, students are identified as being eligible by their teachers, principals, superintendents, counselors and/or parents.
  • The student takes the College Board end-of-course exam(s) in the spring upon completion of the course(s).
  • In mid-July, the local high school is notified of the student’s score on the course exam; the student also receives a score report.

What are the costs?
Students do NOT incur costs for participating in the Learning Power program:

  • Enrollment and participation in Learning Power courses are provided at NO COST to students.
  • College Board end-of-course exam fees are covered by the Learning Power program.
  • Textbooks and related materials are to be provided by the local school district per local policies.

Where do I go for more information?
Students should talk with their high school counselor or go to

Additional Online AP Courses through the South Dakota Virtual School

What other AP courses are available?
The South Dakota Virtual School offers other online AP courses in addition to the Learning Power program.  However, unlike the Learning Power program, students may have to pay for these classes, which can cost as much as $300 a semester.  These courses include:

  • AP Environmental Science
  • AP Macroeconomics
  • AP Microeconomics
  • AP Psychology
  • AP US Government and Politics
  • AP US History
  • AP French
  • AP Spanish

Where do I go for more information?
Students should talk with their high school counselor or go to